Want To Be A Cop? KDPS Is Hiring.
It's more than just a childhood dream. Public service is an honorable profession, and the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety is hiring.
The Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety is hiring Public Safety Officers, and is accepting applications until November 15th. According to the KDPS website, the job pays between $18 and $35.24 per hour. And if you have MCOLES OR FF I&II certifications, the starting wage is $21.17 per hour. Another inducement to be hired is free training, including Police Officer Academy along with Firefighter Academy and Medical First Responder, and you'll be paid during training.
Among the qualification you must have are at least a high school diploma or equivalent.
"This position performs duties that deter crime through patrol, respond to citizen calls for police, respond to fire, responds to basic emergency medical calls, protect property, mediate and provide conflict resolution, and assist with fire prevention. Public Safety Officer II interacts with the public on a daily basis."
- Duties include (but not limited to):
Maintains law and order and protects lives and property.
- Enforces applicable laws and ordinances
- Responds to law enforcement related calls for service including high risk, emergency, crimes in progress, alarms, disturbances, civil issues, and other types of incidents.
- Conducts criminal investigations including taking control of a crime scene; identifying, protecting and impounding evidence; interviewing victims, witnesses and suspects; and developing leads to solve crimes.
- Operates as a State of Michigan Fire Fighter 2 classification responding to fire and emergency medical calls for service including structure fires, alarms, traffic crash events, hazardous material and injured/sick persons.
- Operates in various capacities on fire calls for service including incident evaluation/size-up, incident command, fire suppression, life rescue, apparatus set-up and operation, rapid intervention, salvage, and incident safety officer.
- Operates assigned rescue, extrication, and fireground operations equipment.
- Assists private ambulance service Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics on emergency medical calls for service.
- Completes fire inspections as required
If you have the qualifications, you still have to pass the Public Safety Officer Written Exam, PSO Agility Test (police & firefighter fitness events), MCOLES entry/exit tests (if not currently certified: physical fitness & reading/writing exams), drug screen, physical exam and psychological testing (including normal/corrected eye sight, no color blindness). There are few other requirements on the website.