Meijer Gardens Star-Studded Lineup Shows, This Summer, Live Music is Back
If you're a fan of live music, especially outdoors on warm summer nights, then you're going to be very happy with the lineup announced for this summer at Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids.
Most popular genres of music are on the schedule that runs from early June well into September. The schedule is heavy with artists who have been around and will big song catalogs. The season starts with Marc Cohn (best known for his song "Walking in Memphis") and the Blind Boys of Alabama, on June 12th, and the season ends with Foreigner doing a "Greatest Hits" tour on September 18th. In between, some notables are Fitz & The Tantrums, a fun pop band. Phish's Trey Anastasio does a solo acoustic show on June 20th. Sheryl Crowe is on the road this summer and stops in Grand Rapids on July 3rd.
For rock fans, ZZ Top is set for July 7th. Legends Buddy Guy and John HIatt are set for July 21st. Boz Scaggs and the Robert Cray Band will play on August 22nd, and the Goo Goo Dolls will play in September.
Legendary acts The Temptations and The Beach Boys are on the lineup as is Rick Springfield (backed by the Grand Rapids Symphony, no less; on Jessie's Girl?) and Grammy winner Norah Jones.
Here's the entire schedule.
- June 12 Blind Boys of Alabama + Marc Cohn
- June 17 Amos Lee w/ Neal Francis
- June 19 Fitz & The Tantrums + St. Paul & The Broken Bones
- June 20 An Acoustic Evening with Trey Anastasio (of Phish)
- June 23 Old Crow Medicine Show
- June 24 Trombone Shorty’s Voodoo Threauxdown featuring Tank and The Bangas, Big Freedia, Cyril Neville: The Uptown Ruler, George Porter Jr. and Dumpstaphunk performing the music of The Meters and The Soul Rebels
- June 26 The Temptations w/ Kimmie Horne
- June 27 Bluegrass Happening featuring Bela Fleck & My Bluegrass Heart, Sam Bush & The Jerry Douglas Band
- July 3 Sheryl Crow w/ Allison Russell
- July 6 Corinne Bailey Rae w/ War & Treaty
- July 7 ZZ Top
- July 8 O.A.R.
- July 13 Five for Fighting with the Grand Rapids Symphony
- July 14 Michael Franti & Spearhead w/ The New Respects
- July 15 Lyle Lovett and his Large Band
- July 17 Norah Jones
- July 20 Rick Springfield with the Grand Rapids Symphony
- July 21 Buddy Guy + John Hiatt
- July 27 America
- July 28 Arturo Sandoval with the Grand Rapids Symphony
- August 4 Elvis Costello & The Imposters w/ Nicole Atkins
- August 5 Andrew Bird + Iron & Wine w/ Meshell Ndegeocello
- August 10 The Dead South w/ Tejon Street Corner Thieves
- August 12 Lake Street Dive w/ Madison Cunningham
- August 15 The Beach Boys
- August 17 The Decemberists
- August 22 Boz Scaggs w/ Robert Cray Band
- August 24 Umphrey’s McGee
- Sept. 1 Emmylou Harris + Mary Chapin Carpenter
- Sept. 12 Australian Pink Floyd
- Sept. 15 Goo Goo Dolls w/ Blue October
- Sept. 16 She & Him
- Sept. 18 Foreigner: The Greatest Hits Tour
Start saving your money. Concert tickets, like everything else, have gotten very expensive. More information on the lineup is here, while you can buy tickets here. Pre-sales start April 23rd, and the rest can start buying tickets on May 7th.