This Weekend in Kalamazoo: Greekfest, Do-Dah, Art Hop
The weather is getting warmer. The sky is getting clearer. It's time to get out of the house, my friends! Here are some great, and often FREE, things to do this weekend in Kalamazoo!
Friday, June 5:
- Art Hop!: A free event held on the first Friday of every month, Art Hop is an evening of art exhibits and events; one of the great things to do in Kalamazoo. It's fun, interactive and a great way to explore downtown that you can do alone, with friends or family, and you don’t have to be “artist” to enjoy it!
Saturday, June 6:
- Downtown Kalamazoo Brewery Walking Tour: West Michigan Beer Tours is proud to be partnering with Discover Kalamazoo and the rest of our sponsors on the 2015 Kalamazoo Craft Beer Walking Tour Series. Every Saturday from May 30 through Aug. 30 and the last Sundays of June, July and August — June 28, July 26 and Aug. 30 — there will be a public walking tour available in downtown Kalamazoo. Learn about the craft beer in Kalamazoo, enjoy sampling some of the best beers in the world, and find out about the fascinating history of Kalamazoo. Registration will be held at noon with departure at 1 p.m. $19
- Do-Dah Parade: Everybody from the ghost busters, drag queens, and a roller-skating Richard Simmons has graced the annual Do-Dah Parade in downtown Kalamazoo – and this year won’t disappoint. The Do-Dah Parade on June 6 is no ordinary parade – it’s absurd, goofy, and downright hilarious. It’s filled with local people who dress the part of parodies, spoofs, and characters – and they create lots of laughs while doing it. The parade is fun for all ages and celebrates the one time of year when “silly and satire” rule the streets of downtown Kalamazoo.
- Kids Night-Galesburg Speedway: Full 4 in 1 Show, helmets required. Adults $12; Children 6-12 $5; Under 5 Free; Senior 60 & Over $10
- West Michigan Glass Art at Art on the Mall: Be sure to make time during your trip downtown during Art on the Mall to stop by Booth 6 to see the West Michigan Glass Art Center! See our artists doing live flameworking demonstrations and get information on classes, events, and more! And there's still time to sign up for Summer Camp. It's all free!
- Kalamazoo Greek Fest: Thirty nine years ago it all began with a small gathering of friends enjoying the Greek culture in the basement of Dionysos Restaurant. Little did Theo and Stacy know that the people of Kalamazoo would embrace and accept their heritage with overwhelming enthusiasm. After the first year, people came and went and requested more Greek cultural events. Theo and Stacy decided to not only share the food and drink of Greece, but also the song and dance. This is a three day event where musicians, singers, and dancers would come via Greece and share the authentic Greek experience. When joining us at the festival this year, in memory of Theo, remember him singing and dancing with his glass of Ouzo exclaiming OPA!