Lions Rank Second On ‘Most Embarrassing Team’ List
We can poke fun at the Lions, other people can't. But this list is truth.
On the week of the biggest game the Lions have played in years (Sunday, 1:00pm, Ford Field, vs. the equally undefeated Kansas City Chiefs), USA Today has called them out for being the embarrassment that they are, and have been for years.
The national publication listed the ten most embarrassing franchises in the NFL.
The key points in the newspaper's argument were the fact that the Lions haven't won a playoff game since 1992. They've been to the playoffs just three times since 2000. And in 2008, they became the first team in NFL history to go 0-16.
The number one team on the list will come as no surprise, it's the only other team to go winless - the Cleveland Browns.
The Browns have only made ONE playoff appearance since reforming after the original Browns left town and became the Baltimore Ravens 24 years ago . . and that was a loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2003. There was also that stretch in 2015 and 2016, when they only won ONE game over TWO seasons.
To add injury to insult, the old Browns, or Ravens have won two Super Bowl titles since leaving town and have become one of the most winningest franchises in the league.
Meanwhile, can you name the last quarterback to lead the Lions to a playoff victory? The answer in a minute, but first here's the other eight teams on the list.
3. The Cincinnati Bengals. The Bengals last won a playoff game in 1991. They've been to the playoffs seven times since 2005, but lost all those games.
4. The Buffalo Bills. They went to the playoffs in 2017 but that was just the first time they'd been in the postseason since 1999. They haven't won a playoff game since 1995.
5. The league's CURRENT worst team: The Miami Dolphins. They haven't won a playoff game since 2000. They've only been to the playoffs three times since then, and it doesn't look like they'll be back any time soon.
6. The Washington Redskins. The Redskins have just one playoff win this century, way back in the 2005 season.
7. The Oakland Raiders. They haven't won a playoff game since the AFC title game in the 2002 season, and they've only been back to the playoffs once since then... in 2016, when they lost to the Houston Texans in the wild-card round.
Also, the Raiders spent most of this past off-season wondering where they were even going to play their home games this year, which was very embarrassing.
8. The New York Jets. They were able to beat the New England Patriots in the playoffs back in 2010. But that is also their last playoff win.
9. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Bucs won the Super Bowl back in 2002, but that's their last playoff win. Their last playoff game was back in 2007 when they lost to the New York Giants at home in the wild-card round.
10. The Jacksonville Jaguars. The Jags tend to have a LOT of empty seats in their stadium on game days, despite going to the AFC title game in 2017.
The last Lion playoff winning QB? Erik Kramer. Yup. He beat Troy Aikman and the Dallas Cowboys 38-6 back in '92.