Learn How to Properly Wine Taste
Combining our two favorite things, alcohol and alliteration, Braganini explained the simple steps to sampling: see, swirl, smell, sip, savor.
- See: First, look at the color and clarity of the wine. If it's clear, you're in the clear. If it's cloudy, it's a bad batch.
- Swirl: Second, swirl the wine around in the glass. This helps the wine to breathe, releasing the aroma. And since we've got an aroma swirling around...
- Smell: …Smell it! Citrus? Berries? Forest Floor? Taste and smell work together, so stick your shnoz in there and get a good sniff.
- Sip: Next, sip. Let the wine swirl around in your mouth and touch all areas of the tongue to fully appreciate all the flavors.
- Savor: Finally, savor. This involves sitting back, putting your feet up, and a heavy, relaxing sigh.